Thursday, April 7, 2011

Breaking Ground

It seems that each year, along with summer, God brings me to major blessings and trials. Last year, on May 5th, I was rear-ended by a drunk driver shortly after midnight. The airbag did not deploy, causing me to hit my head on the steering wheel multiple times. I was very blessed to go home to my parents house that morning at 4 a.m. with only whiplash injuries and a concussion. After a year full of countless hours of physical therapy and over 50 appointments with ten different doctors, I learned that I have more than just whiplash and a concussion. 

I was diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) March 10th of this year. In TOS, the blood vessels and nerves that lead to lead to each arm are compressed. This means that blood is not able to flow properly to either or both arms. 

Since the accident, my arms would "fall asleep" or have the "pins and needles" feeling several times a day or any time my arms were raised above my heart. I also have muscle spasms in both hands. Many times, TOS is treated and the symptoms are greatly improved over time with physical therapy. Over the past year, despite outpatient physical therapy and at-home exercises, my symptoms showed no improvement and in some aspects, worsened. 

So here we are. This summer, I will be "under construction." I will be having two surgeries to correct the TOS. 

My first surgery will be on April 25th! I check in @ 5:30 a.m. at Mercy Hospital (downtown) and my surgery is scheduled to take place at 7:30 a.m. I will have to stay in the hospital for three days after the procedure. 

The surgery is technically a "left thoracic outlet decompression and left anterior scalenectomy." Basically, they will be decompressing all of the veins and nerves by removing any scar tissue and my anterior scalene muscle in order to make more room. I have been told that I will be just fine without the scalene muscle. 
There is an estimated 2 week recovery and about three weeks between surgeries (they will be doing the same surgery on the right side). I will not be able to use my arm very much after surgery for a while.

I am very excited to finally heal from this car accident. I have chosen to create this blog because I have had a lot of requests to keep people updated and I felt this was the easiest way to give updates before, during and after my surgery and recovery. 

Please pray....

  • I will make it though the surgery without complications
  • My surgeon, Dr. Kuestner, will be well rested and focused during the operation
  • The anesthesiologist will also be well rested, focused and alert
  • Dr. Kuestner will have a chance to hear and see the Gospel through my family's interaction with her
  • I would have a fast, full recovery
  • I would stay encouraged in the word
  • I would remember that God's plan and timing are always better than mine
  • I would seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness 
  • I would have an eternal mindset and perspective
  • I would stay encouraged through fellowship
  • That I would be joyful and thankful
  • I would use this experience to share the Gospel and to encourage my brothers and sisters in Christ
  • I would give all glory to God
  • I would not be upset or discouraged when I am not able to participate in fun summer things and           fellowship...i.e...Bstud hangouts, CF hangouts, grill outs, wiffle ball, etc.
  • (Kind of joking, but not really - please pray that I would remember to filter my words when on meds)
  • Please pray for my Mom and Dad and my sisters!!!!!!!



Thanks so much for your prayers and support! I will be posting more as I learn or experience more and if you have something that you would like to share with me, please do! I am very thankful for you!


Praise the Lord, For He IS good!

No comments:

Post a Comment