Thursday, March 1, 2012

Scarred for Life

Wow it has been a long time! 

Just a quick update from the last 8 months...

During my second surgery, there were a lot of complications. I noticed when I woke up from the second surgery that something wasn't right. I was in much more pain in my right shoulder and arm. My right arm was in a sling and was iced.

I started asking a lot of questions, but there weren't any answers. I was restricted to my bed for the first 24 hours and I was on a specific diet; both of which were not required after the first surgery. I found that odd because I was told that it was just protocol...

Over the next couple of days, the pain decreased but my family and I noticed a couple of strange things. I was not able to breathe completely and my voice had changed! It was much higher and kind of whiny. 

When we met with the surgeon on the final day, the surgeon told me that the muscle that was removed was much larger than anticipated and the nerves to my diaphragm and to my vocal chords were nicked during the procedure!

I am so thankful and blessed that these nerves were able to fully heal over the following months! Praise the Lord.

For a while, my scars would hurt quite a bit because they were trying to heal, but the pain is mostly gone. I am also very thankful because the surgery seems to be a success! I no longer have the muscle spasms in my arms to the extent that I had them and I can raise my arms above my head without them falling asleep immediately!

My six month post-surgery check-up went very well! My recovery has reached a leveling point where I am not getting any worse or any better. I am so thankful. In a few short weeks, I will only be seen every eight weeks instead of every week, and I will only have one doctor!

My scars on my neck are fading, but here is a picture from 4th of July so you can have an idea of what they look like....

 This pic was taken at the Grand View Campus Fellowship Valentine's Day Dinner on February 10, 2012... My scars look much different. Now, they are still there, but they blend more in with the color of my skin. It kind of seems like I just have super defined collar bones :)

I thank you for all of your prayers and support throughout the entire process. I am a very blessed woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment